The Haynes' Fam

Follow us on our adventure!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Our Sweet Story

I thought I might as well start at the beginning...
Nicholas' mom and my mom were roommates at Rick's College back in the 80's. They were great friends and stayed in contact with each other until Lisa (Nickle's mom) moved to Australia. She ended up going back to Magrath, Alberta, and marrying her sweetheart Randy while my mom stayed at Ricks and met and married my dad. Nicholas' parents then ended up in Montana and then northern Alberta where my mom lost contact again... When the Haynes' family moved back to Magrath my mom attempted to send a Christmas card to her long lost friend :) The first card they got was when I was in 8th grade and Nickle was in 7th. (Nickle is his nickname) :) From then on I was the "Hot girl on the fridge." Nicholas and his friends even joked around and each said they would one day date me. Little did they know back then! :) 
Here is one of the Christmas photos that was sent to the Haynes' :)

In the fall of 2005 during my Junior year of high school our football team invited the Raymond Comets to play during the Homecoming game. Our football coach, Coach Berry, assigned the players to stay with cheerleaders on the cheer squad. My sister Sarah and I were assigned the quarterbacks; Dalin Tollestrup and Kenny Dahl. This event introduced our family to the people of Southern Alberta. Later that year in swing choir we were given the choice as to where we wanted to go on tour. All of us girls who remembered the football team from Raymond pushed hard on going to Alberta. Since the choir had gone before and since us girls are very persuasive we went to Alberta :)
The tour took us to Waterton Lakes National Park, Cardston, Raymond, and Magrath :) While in Waterton my mom tried to find a way to get a hold of Lisa hoping she was still in that little town. As we performed for the students of Magrath a cute guy recognized me during my solo. Afterwards Kassidy (Nickle's sister) came up because she recognized me as well. She said, "Don't you have a little black brother?" Then this tall, dark, and handsome guy came up and stood beside her. He was a hottie even back then! That night my mom and I and Nickle's family went out to eat at Moxie's in Lethbridge and then they came back to the hotel where we went swimming. We talked the whole time. From that moment on we didn't run out of anything to talk about. Conversation came easily. It was as if this boy and I had been friends since babies! Sadly, the night had to end and our choir was heading home the next day. We did exchange e-mail addresses though so as not to lose touch.
From then on Nicholas and I were in love. He called often and later that summer he and his parents came down to make a furniture run (They own a furniture business in Lethbridge.) Nickle would come every few months and leave and we were back to e-mails and phone calls.
He came down for my sister Mal and Jonny's wedding in April of 2008.


 In May of that year I went up for his Grad in Magrath. 






Nicholas then turned 19 and received his mission call to Albuquerque, New Mexico. 


We were used to the long distance thing but this was even harder without the phone calls. But we both grew and experienced many new things. 
I was attending BYU-Idaho and went on the Humanities Study Abroad to Europe in April of 2009. 










While Nickle spread the gospel to the people of Colorado and New Mexico. 




When Nicholas got home in December of 2010 my family and I were there two days later.

He was so shy at first, but yet again we hit it off. That first hug was so weird, but felt so right! :) I spent Christmas in Magrath that year and we found the ring Christmas Eve. Needless to say he proposed December 28th.




My mom and I planned our wedding in 6 weeks and we were married in the Salt Lake Temple on February 19, 2011. It was a crazy, but beautiful day :)











We now live in Ogden, Utah while Nicholas attends Weber. They offered him a great scholarship as a Canadian so he didn't have to pay out-of-state fees. We just passed the year mark of living here so we will be moving to Logan in a little while where Nickle will transfer to Utah State to finish his schooling and graduate in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Aerospace. Yes, he is smart. lol It is a good thing I have him!
When people tell me long distance relationships don't work I kind of giggle. That is just silly! If you want them to work they will. Girls CAN end up marrying their missionary's if it is meant to work out. I believe our Heavenly Father and Savior both have great senses of humor and are very aware of our needs. I love my sweet husband of mine and I love this adventure we are on. So... Here we go on the life of Becca and Nicholas Haynes!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Becca i love it i even started tearing up a little. So fun to read you did a great job of going back so many years and making it great. I am still working on my blog that i am only starting from when liv was born... wish i started a blog sooner so it wasn't so much work! Anyway did i really just ask you if you had a little black brother... i can't beleive i would say that.. but i guess that would probably confirm if you were the girl on our fridge lol! love you glad your in our family and taking care of my little brother!

    ReplyDelete